Welcome back to all of our returning faculty, and welcome to the new faculty joining ERAU-W as well. Last month we mixed it up and offered some pre-recorded webinars on providing feedback for you to view instead of our monthly EV-Anar. In the spirit of providing and receiving feedback, we will be asking for some feedback from you in this newsletter! This month, we return to our regularly scheduled programming with a couple of different live session options for you to attend. Read on for more information!
We need your feedback!
Every year, RCTLE surveys our most important stakeholders – you! We would greatly appreciate it if you could share your feedback on what we’ve been doing recently and what you’d like to see us do in the near future. Our role is to support you, and we want to make sure we are doing that!
*Please complete our Annual Survey by Sunday, August 26th.* We will share some of the main themes and takeaways in a future newsletter.
SPECIAL SESSION: Reading Strategies for eLearning
As we continue the shift from hardbound books to eTexts, a shift in strategies is needed as well. Many students struggle with reading eTexts and other online content. This special session will provide research-based strategies for faculty to aid students in becoming more proficient readers using eTexts. Attendees will leave with tools to assist students in diving deeper into the content!
Come attend a live session in the RCTLE EagleVision Room:
- Wednesday, August 15th at 11 am ET
- Wednesday, August 15th at 8 pm ET
August EV-Anar: Giving Letters of Recommendation
Relationships between professors and students are the beginnings of life-long careers for many who graduate from ERAU. Building a network of alumni is as easy as offering to write a letter of recommendation for your students who ask for your coaching. Come listen to Paul Lange with the College of Business as he give his tips and tricks for offering engaged students his seal of approval.
Live sessions will be offered in the RCTLE EagleVision Room at the following times:
- Tuesday, August 21st at 10 am ET
- Tuesday, August 21st at 8 pm ET
- Thursday, August 23rd at 2 pm ET
TEACHING TIP: Five Ways to Build Community in Online Classrooms
Some great tips from the Faculty Focus: Five Ways to Build Community in Online Classrooms article:
- Make yourself available – add personalized touches to the course through video to set a tone of community.
- Create a communication plan – Create a calendar for when you will reach out to each student individually throughout the course.
- Encourage interaction – This interaction should be meaningful and relevant to the course.
- Build “outside class” spaces – Leverage your online office discussion forum to share resources, tips, and strategies outside of the assigned content.
- Bring the outside in – Share current events and other ERAU resources for your students in the course when possible.
Come chat with us!
Have you set up a One-on-One Consultation with a member of our RCTLE team lately? If not, there’s no time like the present! Contact us at the email address below.
- Come participate in our August RCTLE Discussion: Your Experience with Giving Letters of Recommendation.
- Attend our August Office Hours – Wednesday, August 29th from 3-4 pm ET in our RCTLE EagleVision Room.