Happy Holidays from RCTLE!
While it isn’t snowing in Daytona Beach and it’s not really even cold, we are still getting ready for the holidays here at RCTLE. Thank you for another great year – we wish you a safe, warm, and happy holiday season!
We need YOU to be a Guest Host in 2018!
There are no EV-Anars this month; however, we are finalizing our live session schedule for the 2018 calendar year! We have a few spots still open for faculty guest hosts for our monthly EV-Anars. This is a great opportunity for you to share a teaching practice, a helpful strategy, or a tool that you’ve found to be really effective!
What is expected of a guest host?
- Develop a 10-12 minute interactive presentation on a topic relevant to ERAU-W faculty (we can help you with this!)
- Present your session four times – first as a “dry run” to an RCTLE staff member, then three times to ERAU-W faculty (generally these sessions are held at 10 am and 8 pm ET on a Tuesday, and then 2 pm ET on the Thursday of that week).
- Record a “clean” version of your presentation to add to our video repository.
Where can I see examples of past presentations by guest hosts?
You can always review recordings of past live sessions, including EV-Anars guest-hosted by ERAU-W faculty, on the EV-Anars page.
What should I do if I am interested in being a guest host?
Reach out to Sara Ombres, RCTLE Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org!
Teaching Tip: Helping Your Students Stay Focused During the Holidays
The holidays are often a busy time for faculty and students alike. The October term ends right before the Winter Break, while the November and December terms will both take a week off at the end of December. However, the entire month of December can be a busy time! It can be so valuable to send a small reminder or note of encouragement to keep students engaged in your course. Here are a few suggestions to try:
- If you have a particularly busy module in your course coming up, post an announcement to students encouraging them to plan ahead to make sure they dedicate adequate time to the course activities.
- Send a quick encouraging email to your students after the Winter Break welcoming them back to the course and reminding them to re-engage as soon as possible!
- Use the Message Students Who… feature in Canvas Grades to contact those students who may be late submitting a major assignment.
Share your thoughts!
While we have no EV-Anars or Office Hours scheduled in December, you can still share your thoughts with us! In this month’s discussion, we are leaving the topic open – what do you want to discuss? What challenges or successes did you face this year that you’d like to share? What topics do you hope that RCTLE will address in 2018?
Don’t forget, we’re always available for one-on-one consultations as well! You can reach us at our contact information below.
Again, happy holidays!
The mission of the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is to empower faculty members in their pursuit of professional growth through diverse offerings for the universal goal of student success.
Regularly, RCTLE shares an informational newsletter with our faculty that includes updates, teaching strategies, and upcoming events.
Reports & Data (5)
This area includes RCTLE's Annual Report which is a climate survey of faculty (full-time and adjunct) and other data artifacts.
Stories share the knowledge of ERAU-W's world-class faculty and staff. These are published regularly to our site.