The Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence (RCTLE) provides a thorough and comprehensive faculty development program for all ERAU-W faculty. This occurs in multiple ways:
Initial Faculty Training
All new ERAU-W faculty must complete an initial faculty development (iTeachER) course experience prior to teaching their first course for ERAU-W. Through active participation in this experience, ERAU-W faculty will:
- Build affinity with ERAU-W
- Engage in a professional learning community
- Reflect on their own teaching and learning
- Explore teaching best practices
- Prepare to teach at ERAU-W
- Establish a connection with ERAU-W
- Practice with available technology tools including EagleVision and Canvas
Training is specialized for adjunct faculty, full-time faculty, and those faculty teaching at ERAU-W Asia campuses.
Any adjunct faculty member identified as needing improvement in one or more areas of the faculty evaluation is enrolled in a college-specific refresher experience developed by RCTLE and tailored to each section within the faculty evaluation.
In addition, RCTLE has developed a succinct, annual recurrent experience for faculty. This recurrent experience will ensure all ERAU-W faculty remain current with the latest policies, expectations, tools, best practices, and resources available.
Faculty Quality Management
As a support unit, the Faculty Quality Manager (FQM) team strives to provide quality customer service to our stakeholders through proactive preterm, during term, and post-term reporting.
The FQM also serves as a central point-of-contact during the term serving as a liaison between faculty & advisors to support the student experience at ERAU.
Ensure quality instructor engagement & communication.
Ensure timely grading & quality, meaningful feedback.
Support College leadership with annual faculty evaluations.
Individual consultations are always available by request from faculty or by referral from Faculty Quality Managers or College Leadership. Consultations center around research in best practices from varying learning theories. Frequent consultation feedback/discussion topics include syllabus creation and course design, assessment management, class observations, facilitating discussions, supporting diverse learners, and providing effective feedback.
RCTLE provides faculty outreach in several ways:
- All new faculty are contacted by RCTLE prior to and during their first term teaching at ERAU-W.
- All ERAU-W faculty receive a monthly RCTLE newsletter that includes teaching tips, live offerings information, and other ways to engage.
- RCTLE sends an annual survey to all faculty to assess the quality of support provided as well as the most relevant topics to focus on in the coming year.
- RCTLE maintains a presence in the eUnion that serves as a virtual center for all ERAU-W faculty.
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Support
Engaging in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) is a valuable way for all faculty to research and assess the effectiveness of their own teaching in the classroom. The RCTLE is available to support all faculty in designing and implementing SoTL projects.
Journal Review Opportunities
Below are some of the journals that the Embry-Riddle RCTLE encourages our faculty to join and be part of their review and/or editorial boards, in order to advance their own knowledge and keeping them current with ongoing research in their fields.
The Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education (AACE)
periodically invites leaders, interested in advancing
knowledge and learning with information technology, to serve on the Editorial Review Boards of its internationally respected journals. These include:
- International Journal on E-Learning (IJEL)
- Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching (JCMST)
- Journal of Interactive Learning Research (JILR)
- Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia (JEMH)
- Journal of Technology and Teacher Education (JTATE)
Editorial Review Board members are asked to review at least five (5) manuscripts per year on a timely basis, within 4 weeks of receipt.
Other Technical Journals
Specialized Support Upon Request
The RCTLE frequently partners with other academic and administrative departments to prepare specialized offerings as needed.