Stop 1: Review the Information for Instructors Module
The Information for Instructors (IFI) Module is unique to each course and provides information regarding course setup and facilitation.
- Before completing the Preterm Setup each term, review the IFI to determine if additional steps are required to prepare your course. This includes group setup or Open Template elements.
- Review the modules in your course to check for broken links. Contact eLearning Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) to fix broken links.
- Verify that Simple Syllabus is loaded and working. Contact eLearning Support (email@example.com) to resolve any issues. To learn more, see the article What is Simple Syllabus?
Stop 2: Setup Course Announcements
Post a detailed Welcome Announcement. Additional weekly announcements are strongly encouraged, as they help keep students on track.
To create an announcement:
- Select Announcements on the course menu.
- Select Make an announcement.
- Add a title and type your announcement in the Rich Content Editor box.
- Create an announcement, or paste an existing announcement from your Canvas Sandbox, welcoming students to your course, addressing expectations for students, introducing students to the course topics, and addressing any other concepts you think will help students prepare for the term.
- To post immediately select Save. Select Delay posting, and select the calendar icon to select date and time. Then select Save.
- To edit your announcement, select the Edit button when your announcement is open. Consider using video to personalize your announcements.
Here are some related resources that provide further guidance:
- Using announcements effectively
- How can I use Canvas Announcements?
- Delay posting an announcement until a specific date
- View the Preterm Setup Welcome Announcement Infographic
[image image=”https://rctle.erau.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/welcome-announc_47793867.png” thumb=”https://rctle.erau.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/welcome-announc_47793867-272×1536.png” title=”Setup Course Announcements Infographic” details=”Preterm Setup Welcome Announcement Infographic”]
Stop 3: Edit Contact Information, Bio, & Policies
You are required to edit your instructor profile in the Instructor Contact Information, Bio, and Policies page.
To complete this task:
- Select Modules from the Course Navigation.
- Open the Instructor Contact Information, Bio, and Policies page under Start Here.
- Select the Edit button.
- Add your personal information in all areas. Remove the brackets and replace the examples with your own information, including detailed course policies for students.
Here are some related resources:
Stop 4: Confirm Module Dates
Verify the dates provided in your course using the Module Dates by Term (PDF). If dates are missing or incorrect, please make any necessary changes.
To verify or update module dates:
- Select Modules from the Course Navigation.
- Next, select the cog icon beside each module title and select Edit.
- If dates are missing or incorrect, replace the (xx/xx/xx) placeholders or existing dates with the appropriate dates.
- Do not change any other settings in this area.
- Select Update Module to save your changes.
- Repeat for each Module.
Stop 5: Set Up Online Office in Discussion Forum
An Online Office has been created in your course in the Discussions area. Your Online Office is a pinned discussion.
To setup your Online Office:
- Select Discussions from the Course Navigation.
- Open the discussion titled Online Office.
- Select Edit, and enter your contact information and availability where indicated.
- Save your changes. Note: leave Online Office as a pinned discussion.
Stop 6: Set Up Exam (Quiz) Availability
By default, quizzes are available in Canvas until you lock them by setting the availability dates. Set the availability dates for exams before the course begins if your course has a summative, midterm, and/or final exam.
- Select Quizzes from the Course Navigation.
- Select the appropriate quiz link (Summative, Midterm, or Final Exam).
- Select Edit icon.
- Enter the Available From date (will default to 12:01 a.m. on that date) and the Until Date (will default to 11:59 PM) at the bottom of the page by selecting on the calendar icon next to each field.
Note: Quizzes should be open for the entire module.
Stop 7: Update Assignment Weights to Match Syllabus
Assignment weights in Canvas must be set to match your college-approved syllabus.
To change assignment weights:
- Select Assignments on the left navigation bar.
- Select Edit, then Assignment Groups Weight.
- Check the box to weigh final grade based on assignment groups.
- Enter percentages for each assignment category based on your college approved syllabus. (Percentages should add up to 100% and match your syllabus.)
- Save your changes
Stop 8: Post College-Approved Syllabus
After submitting your syllabus to your college and receiving a signed, approved, PDF version, upload your syllabus in your course:
- Using the Syllabus Resource Center in ERNIE, create and submit your proposed syllabus to your college for approval.
- Your college will communicate any necessary updates before returning your approved syllabus in PDF form.
- Post your college-approved syllabus to the Syllabus page in Canvas (see instructions at How Do I update the Syllabus in my course)
Stop 9: Configure EagleVision Meeting Room using Zoom
Instructors are required to create their EagleVision Zoom Meeting Room.
To create your meeting room:
- Select Zoom using the left navigation bar.
- Select the Schedule a New Meeting button.
- Enter the course meeting information.
- Topic auto-filled with a course name
- Description of the meeting (optional)
- When the meeting will occur
- Duration (optional)
- Time Zone defaults to your Canvas Account Profile setting
- Select Recurring Meeting for weekly class meetings
- Avoid changing other settings
- Save your changes.
- Review RCTLE’s Zoom Essentials page for additional resources.
Stop 10: Share EagleVision link with remote campuses if applicable
Instructors must share the link to the meeting with any associated campuses prior to the start of the term. Send the remote campuses an email with the URL for your sessions prior to the course start.
To share your course meeting link:
- Select Upcoming Meetings in Zoom.
- Copy the URL to your Zoom meeting.
- Share (paste in an email) the meeting link with any campuses listed on your student roster.
- The campus email addresses can be located in ERNIE under I want to –> View Locations Spreadsheet, in the Email Alias column.
The mission of the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is to empower faculty members in their pursuit of professional growth through diverse offerings for the universal goal of student success.