Discover new features, bug fixes, and improvements.
- Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle through which features are added or updated. The information below contains highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content. These updates will occur weekdays.
- For more information, review All About Release Notes.
- The full set of Release Notes are available via the Canvas Community.
Summary of Canvas Release Notes July 2021
Student & Teacher Experience
Maintenance Windows Enforcement
- To better manage required maintenance across all customer instances, regular maintenance windows will be implemented for each region, beginning in July 15.
- Most maintenance windows will take place sometime between the hours of 12:05 am and 4:05 am ET on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month.
- Planned maintenance windows help to lessen the need for emergency maintenance.
- Although windows are always scheduled for two hours, most likely maintenance will only last a few minutes. Additionally, maintenance may not always be required.
- Users can subscribe to status updates for their Canvas accounts via the Canvas Status History Page.
Canvas released a Studio update this past week which is live on production. The details:
- In this Studio release, the embed functionality for Studio media in the Canvas Rich Content Editor (RCE) has been updated.
- When embedding Studio content via the RCE, the in-text commenting is now off by default.
- There is a revised interface that includes embed options. After selecting a title to embed we see the following.
- If the Media Tabs are enabled, then Details and Comments show for students while the video owner (instructor, designer, admin, etc.) sees Details, Comments, Insights, Captions.
- Notes: This option is not available for student submissions when Studio is used as a submission type. This new feature provides support for anonymous grading.
A second development is improved Studio Analytics for admins. These analytics look at the entire account for storage, upload count, length, users, course with media, etc. and are not analytics such as viewing stats of videos within a course. Details are below however please note this does not appear to be operational currently. I’ll follow up with Canvas with my observations.
The mission of the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is to empower faculty members in their pursuit of professional growth through diverse offerings for the universal goal of student success.
Assessing & Improving (3)
This section provides resources for assessing student learning, assessing your teaching, and improving your class(es).
These are how-to documents, guides, tip clips, and just-in-time resources. If it is step-by-step instructions on using a tool, place the item here instead of under Technology.
Here you will find teaching information on pedagogy, policies, professionalism, principles, frameworks, and student populations. Topics include FAC-10, Bloom's Taxonomy, Preterm Setup, and Information for Instructors.
This section provides guidance on classroom management, issues, methods, assessment, improvement, diversity, equity, and inclusion. Topics include feedback, engagement, instructor presence, and active learning.