Discover new features, bug fixes, and improvements.
- Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle through which features are added or updated. The information below contains highlights from Canvas’s production release notes
- These updates will occur on weekdays.
- For more information, review All About Release Notes.
The full set of Release Notes are available via the Canvas Community.
Summary of Canvas Release Notes – June 19, 2021
Student & Teacher Experience
Maintenance Windows Enforcement
- To better manage required maintenance across all customer instances, regular maintenance windows will be implemented for each region, beginning on July 15.
- Most maintenance windows will take place sometime between the hours of 12:05 am and 4:05 am ET on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month.
- Planned maintenance windows help to lessen the need for emergency maintenance.
- Although windows are always scheduled for two hours, most likely maintenance will only last a few minutes. Additionally, maintenance may not always be required.
- Users can subscribe to status updates for their Canvas accounts via the Canvas Status History Page.
Also, just a reminder of the development for Item Bank Management for New Quizzes. Details on this update are noted in this Canvas Blog post: Coming Soon to New Quizzes: Item Banks Management. While this improvement enables quiz questions (i.e. Item Banks) within New Quizzes to be linked to a course (vs. the course developer or instructor), the development of a tool that migrates existing Question Banks to Item Banks remains in development. A review of this new feature and capability is needed.
The mission of the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is to empower faculty members in their pursuit of professional growth through diverse offerings for the universal goal of student success.
Assessing & Improving (3)
This section provides resources for assessing student learning, assessing your teaching, and improving your class(es).
These are how-to documents, guides, tip clips, and just-in-time resources. If it is step-by-step instructions on using a tool, place the item here instead of under Technology.
Here you will find teaching information on pedagogy, policies, professionalism, principles, frameworks, and student populations. Topics include FAC-10, Bloom's Taxonomy, Preterm Setup, and Information for Instructors.
This section provides guidance on classroom management, issues, methods, assessment, improvement, diversity, equity, and inclusion. Topics include feedback, engagement, instructor presence, and active learning.