Discover new features, bug fixes, and improvements.
- Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle through which features are added or updated. The information below contains highlights from Canvas’s production release notes
- These updates will occur weekdays.
- For more information, review All About Release Notes.
The full set of Release Notes are available via the Canvas Community.
Summary of Canvas Release Notes – June 19, 2021
Teaching with Canvas
SpeedGrader – Comment Library
- This change allows instructors to save frequently used comments in SpeedGrader and be reused across multiple students and assignments.
- When instructors and other graders access SpeedGrader, the comments field includes a Feedback icon that opens the Comment Library. Comments can be entered in the text field and added to the comment library.
- Comments can be deleted from the library at any time. If a comment needs to be edited, the comment will need to be copied and added again to the library.
- Note: The capability to edit existing comments is being added by the engineering team.
- Comments can be added directly from the Comment Library by opening the library and clicking the comment that should be added. The library will close and the comment will display in SpeedGrader.
- Comments are saved per individual user regardless of course, so comments saved by a user in one course will also display when the user is viewing SpeedGrader in another course.
- The Comment Library functionality is not supported in the assignment submission details page.
Student & Teacher Experience
- The Canvas Help Menu will display an indicator when a release note has been published for the user’s role, and release notes links display in a new window.
- Notes display a summary of a feature or multiple features available to the user and provide a link where the user can view more details.
- Only default features available to all users are included as of release note entries. Feature options are not mentioned in release notes until the feature will become a default feature for all users.
- Each link is customized to the user role and directs to the user summary document for the intended release. If a user has more than one user role, the user will receive links to notes for each role. Notes are available for the admin, instructor, and student roles. TA roles receive instructor release notes. Custom roles receive notes for the base role used for the custom role.
- Release notes are viewed when a link is selected in the Help Menu.
- If a note has not yet been viewed, the unread indicator remains in the Help Menu until all notes have been read. New notes are indicated by the New label.
- Notes can be viewed as often as needed, as the link remains after it is read. The Help Menu always displays the last 10 release notes posted for the user’s role.
The mission of the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is to empower faculty members in their pursuit of professional growth through diverse offerings for the universal goal of student success.
Assessing & Improving (3)
This section provides resources for assessing student learning, assessing your teaching, and improving your class(es).
These are how-to documents, guides, tip clips, and just-in-time resources. If it is step-by-step instructions on using a tool, place the item here instead of under Technology.
Here you will find teaching information on pedagogy, policies, professionalism, principles, frameworks, and student populations. Topics include FAC-10, Bloom's Taxonomy, Preterm Setup, and Information for Instructors.
This section provides guidance on classroom management, issues, methods, assessment, improvement, diversity, equity, and inclusion. Topics include feedback, engagement, instructor presence, and active learning.