Discover new features, bug fixes, and improvements.
- Canvas operates on a monthly release cycle through which features are added or updated. The information below contains highlights from Canvas’s production release notes, a link to these notes, and other relevant content.
- For more information:
- Teaching with Canvas
- Student & Teacher Experience
- Courses – MathJax Equation Improvements
- Global Navigation – Recent History
- Notification Preferences Interface Updates
- Additional Updates
Teaching with Canvas
There are no updates specifically for instructors this month.
Student & Teacher Experience
Courses – MathJax Equation Improvements
- For both new and existing content throughout Canvas, equation rendering has been replaced by MathJax. Additionally, MathJax offers context-menu providing functions for interacting with the equation.
- This change improves accessibility for equations throughout Canvas. Previously, equations were treated as an image and included title attributes and alternative text and were not available to keyboard users. Additionally, image views varied by browser and screen readers, equations could not be copied, and alternative text could be inadvertently changed or removed.
Global Navigation – Recent History
- The Global Navigation Menu includes a Recent History link. This History link displays the most recent pages viewed in Canvas up to the last three weeks.
- This change helps users remember what page they last viewed in one or multiple courses.
Notification Preferences Interface Updates
Notification settings can be controlled in two places: via Account > Notifications and within a course via Home page > View Course Notifications.
- The user-level Notifications page has been updated to match the design of the course-level Notifications page.
- This page includes a banner reminding users that account-level notifications apply to all courses.
- Notifications for individual courses can be changed within each course and override user account notifications. The Course Notifications page also includes a banner notifying users about these overrides.
The following are already enabled
Studio button placement in the Rich Content Editor (RCE)
- The Studio tool button is now included in the primary tool bar view.
New Upload / Embed Image (UEI) Tool for the Rich Content Editor (this is live now)
- The new UEI tool integrates with the popular free stock photography libraries from Pexels.com and Unsplash.com.
- Pull images directly from your computer, your Canvas course files, or your Canvas user files directories to place in your Canvas content.
The mission of the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is to empower faculty members in their pursuit of professional growth through diverse offerings for the universal goal of student success.
Assessing & Improving (2)
This section provides resources for assessing student learning, assessing your teaching, and improving your class(es).
These are how-to documents, guides, tip clips, and just-in-time resources.
Here you will find teaching information on pedagogy, policies, professionalism, principles, frameworks, and student populations. Topics include FAC-10, Bloom's Taxonomy, Preterm Setup, and Information for Instructors.
This section provides guidance on classroom management, issues, methods, assessment, improvement, diversity, equity, and inclusion. Topics include feedback, engagement, instructor presence, and active learning.