When facing a campus closure, students can experience a number of challenges, not the least of which is managing a new learning environment. The following resources and recommendations are meant to help you develop additional online learning strategies and seek out help when you need it.
Most importantly, take good care of yourself and know that your ERAU family cares about your academic success, your well-being, and the well-being of your family. Remember, the goal is to keep learning while remaining healthy.
Access Canvas/Setup Preferences
- Access Canvas, using Chrome as your web browser
- Access your course under My Schedule in ERNIE or, if you’re on a mobile device, download the Canvas Student App on iOS and Android devices
- Edit your profile
- Adjust your notification preferences so you know when your instructors grade assignment, post announcement, etc.
Communicate with Instructors/Classmates
- Send emails through the Canvas Inbox
- How to view announcements from your instructors
- Free Access to Spectrum Broadband and Wi-Fi For 60 Days. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households.
Discussions, Assignments and Quizzes
- Navigate modules in Canvas
- Reply to a discussion post
- How to submit an online assignment
- View a quiz, Take a quiz
- Using Canvas Studio
- Work with groups
View Grades and Feedback
- View grades
- View assignment comments and View assignment annotations (feedback inline with your document)
Prepare to Learn Online
Download Mobile Apps
- Canvas Student Mobile Guides
- Set up Office apps and email on Android
- Set up Office apps and email on iOS devices
- Download Zoom
- Get Microsoft Teams: iOS Teams Client and Adroid Teams Client
Access Email and Office365 Online
Access Office 365 to use online versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- List of available Microsoft applications. Contact IT Support (itsupport&erau.edu) for help.
- MATLAB information
- A limited number of licenses for CATIA Dassault are available. Check with your professor for a license.
- Access 3D Innovator (CATIA) and 3D Designer (SOLIDWORKS) online through 3DS Academy. Need a computer? Students may contact IT Support (itsupport&erau.edu) for a loaner laptop preloaded with CATIA.
- Free Access to Spectrum Broadband and Wi-Fi For 60 Days to households with K-12 and/or college students. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new households.
- Comcast offers two free months of Internet service
- Altice USA broadband free for 60 days to new customers. Sign up by calling 1-866-200-9522 or 1-888-633-0030
- Use your cell phone as a hotspot.
- Purchase or lease a hotspot from Skyroam or your local cell phone provider.
Communication skills are key in an online learning environment. You’ll need to be proactive in getting what you need in terms of feedback from your instructor and your classmates. Don’t hesitate to communicate!
- Reach out to each of your instructors through Canvas to find out how and when you will be able to complete coursework for the next two weeks. Some other tips:
- Change the notifications settings in Canvas to have your instructor’s announcements sent to you immediately.
- Stay current by checking email and Canvas daily.
- Get started with Zoom.
Stay connected with classmates as well. Ask your instructor to let you know how you can communicate with your classmates for support. You can find out from other students what strategies and tools are working for them. You can also share your own successes and help out a fellow Eagle.
Online learning can be challenging for students, so organization and time management are very important. Remember, we no longer have the structure of a MWF 8:00-8:50 am class to help you organize your thinking about your courses. Some faculty may have assignments due at midnight on Fridays, others may have more open deadlines. You’ll have to work hard to manage each instructor’s expectations.
- Create a calendar organized by due dates to help you stay organized in each of your classes.
- Set aside specific times during each day to dedicate to completing coursework assignments, studying for exams, and participating in online asynchronous discussions.
- Learn to adjust your study habits during COVID-19 (requires login) and explore tips for learning online.
The mission of the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is to empower faculty members in their pursuit of professional growth through diverse offerings for the universal goal of student success.
Resources for supporting students including career guidance, writing, APA, and EAGLET.