“Open Educational Resources are teaching, learning, and research resources that reside in the public domain or have been released under an intellectual property license that permits their free use and repurposing by others. OER include full courses, course materials, modules, textbooks, streaming videos, tests, software, and any other tools, materials, or techniques used to support access to knowledge.”William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
The Canvas Commons is a resource available to faculty and users of Canvas. Commons is a learning object repository that enables educators to find, import, and share resources. A digital library full of educational content, Commons allows Canvas users to share learning resources with other users as well as import learning resources into a Canvas course.
To learn more, read the Commons section of the Canvas Instructor Guide.
Copyright Free Resources
Here are some places to find open textbooks:
- Open Textbook Library Catalog
- OER Commons Open Textbooks
- BCcampus OpenEd
- MERLOT Materials
- California State University Coll4Ed Textbooks
- ChemCollective collection of virtual labs, scenario-based learning activities, tutorials, and concept tests
- Directory of Open Access Books
- National Science Digital Library serving science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education
- Saylor Academy Open Textbooks
- SpringerOpen open access books
The mission of the Rothwell Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence is to empower faculty members in their pursuit of professional growth through diverse offerings for the universal goal of student success.